Monday, April 11, 2011

The Deepest Waters

I recently finished reading The Deepest Waters by Dan Walsh, and it was one of the best books I have read in a long time! I finished it in a short amount of time, and I found myself not wanting to put the book down once I started reading it.

The Deepest Waters tells the story of newlyweds, John and Laura Foster, and their honeymoon journey to visit and meet John’s family in New York City. Unfortunately, there is a Hurricane along their course, and they are separated as Laura gets rescued and John is left at sea. The book tells of the journey for Laura to get to New York City and connect with her new family, and it looks at the struggle of John as he attempts to survive while stranded in the Ocean. This book reminded me a lot of the 1990s movie, Titanic, only with a better outcome!

I think my main reason for enjoying this book so much was the plain way in which it was written. It made it extremely easy to follow, and it felt as if I was being told the story from a friend who had firsthand experience of the event. There were not too many difficult sailing terms, and I liked the picture at the beginning of the book which laid out the names of the important parts of the boat. I also liked how all of the characters placed their faith in Jesus, but there wasn’t an overwhelming amount of references to how they came about having a relationship with Jesus. Rather, it seemed as if they grew up with faith, and the obstacles they were facing brought them closer to Christ.

In addition to the danger that was faced, there was also a romance aspect to the book. I liked reading about the deep love John and Laura had for one another and how they found each other at the time when Laura had all but given up on her chances of finding love. Although this was a romance book, it was done in a very tasteful manner which is really important to me when reading any type of romances. There was so much more than romance in the book also; it focused on family, slavery, faithfulness, and many other themes that stood out throughout my reading. I cannot wait to read more books by Dan Walsh!!

“Available April 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

No comments:

Post a Comment