Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Dawn of a Dream

The Dawn of a Dream is the third book in the At Home in Beldon Grove series of books written by Ann Shorey. The book begins with Luellen O’Connell being abandoned by her husband, who she married after knowing only a short time. Facing the prospect of moving back in with her parents to the house she grew up in, she decides to pursue her dream of becoming a teacher. Throughout her education, she is faced with many different obstacles: love, illness, friendship, family relationships, prejudice, and money troubles.

Although this was the third book in the Beldon Grove series, it is possible to read it as a stand-alone. The characters were very realistic, and the character of Luellen is someone I could relate to and felt I would be friends with if she was a real person. These realistic characters spread throughout Luellen’s entire family and also those she had friendships with. The setting of the book also added to my interest, as I haven’t really read many books about people living in Illinois. I think what I really liked about this book was that Luellen wasn’t looking for a husband to solve all of her problems, rather she wanted to get her teaching certificate in order to make a life for herself. I think this is an important theme to show people; you don’t have to look another person to solve your problems, rather through faith and hard work, everything you want will eventually come to you.

“Available April 2011 at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.”

1 comment:

  1. LAM, Thank you so much for the review of The Dawn of a Dream. I appreciate that you emphasized the theme. My hope is that my readers will see that as a take-away.
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete